Digital Systems Design
Digital hardware is at the core of Electronic Systems today. Digital design using Hardware Description Languages is the norm. The aims of this section are to:
- Learn a systematic method of tackling digital design problems.
- Learn about Enabing, Design and Implementation of State Machines.
- Produce Standard, Synthesizable HDL code.
On successful completion of this section I will be able to:
- Identify various Digital Architectures (Synchronous vs Asynchronous, Combinational vs Sequential)
- Compare and contrast various programmable logic devices (PLD, CPLD, FPGA).
- Design, Verify and Implement Combinational Circuits using VHDL.
- Design, Verify and Implement Sequential circuits using VHDL.
- Design, Verify and Implement State Machines.
- Analyse the Timing and Functional performance of Digital Systems.
- Identify & grasp the limitations of VHDL.
To complete this section I will be working from the following book(s):
Book 01: Fundamentals Of Digital Logic With VHDL Design
Author: Stephen Brown
Fundamentals of Digital Logic with VHDL Design teaches the basic design techniques for logic circuits. The text ptovides a clear and easily understandable discussion of logic circuit design without the use of unnecessary formalism. It emphasizes the synthesis of circuits and explains how circuits are implemented in real chips. Fundamental concepts are illustrated by using small examples, which are easy to understand. Then, a modular approach is used to show how larger circuits are designed.
VHDL is a complex language so it is introduced gradually in the book. Each VHDL feature is presented as it becomes pertinent for the circuits being discussed. While it includes a discussion of VHDL, the book provides thorough coverage of the fundamental concepts of logic circuit design, independent of the use of VHDL and CAD tools.
Publisher: McGraw-Hill Education; 3rd edition (16th April 2008)
In this section the following are covered:
- Logic functions and circuits
- Boolean algebra for dealing with logic functions
- Logic gates and synthesis of simple circuits
- CAD toolsand the VHDL hardware description language